A Hazardous waste is waste that poses substantial or potential threats to public health or the environment.
What is Household Hazardous Waste?
Household Hazardous Waste includes materials such as:
- Household cleaners and detergents
- Paints and solvents
- Motor oil and windshield washer fluid
- Batteries (wet & dry cell)
- Prescription medicine or pharmaceuticals
- Needles and syringes (in puncture resistant containers)
- Fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent light bulbs / energy efficient bulbs
Household Hazardous Waste commonly displays the following symbols:
- Poisonous - can poison or damage living organisms
- Explosive - can react violently when mixed with other agents, or when placed under heat or pressure
- Corrosive - can eat away at surfaces, including skin
- Flammable - can burn easily